FY2020 Socially Engaged Art Support Grant Application Guideline
Towards the Socially Engaged Art Support Grant
At this age of globalism, Japanese artists are actively working in broad areas both domestic and abroad, and increasing numbers of grants and awards that support such artists’ activities have developed over the recent years.
In such condition within the international art field, Socially Engaged Art, which aims to realize a better society through direct artist involvements with communities and societies, are attracting increasing attention among their approaches towards various controversies such as environmental issues, economic discrepancies, immigrant issues, and more others.
In Japan however, Socially Engaged Art is not yet well renowned, and no particular system could be found up until this point that support such activities. Taking into account of such condition, Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation will start a new grant system in which would be the first case to support Socially Engaged Art in Japan.
We hope this grant system would contribute in attaining a broader understanding of Socially Engaged Art along with its social meanings and possibilities, and intensify the activities and practices of artists who aim to realize a further better society towards the future.
We look forward to receiving your ambitious and innovative project applications. Chairman, Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation
PURPOSE OF THE GRANT
SOCIALLY ENGAGED ART SUPPORT GRANT will support Socially Engaged Art projects that will take place in Japan and commit to the community and society; implement activities together with communities and residents; and aim to build and demonstrate models of a better society. This would further enhance in-depth relationships between art culture and the society and will contribute in cultivating higher cultural developments in Japan.
* Definition of “Socially Engaged Art” Socially Engaged Art (SEA) is a generic term of artistic activities that aim a certain “change” amongst existing rules and systems through a proactive process of participation and communication with the society, on both daily and social levels.
- Number of grantee: 1 to multiple projects
- Grant Amount: Maximum of 4.5 million JPY *Grant will be paid in divided terms
- Grant Period: From April 1st 2020 through March 31th 2021
FROM: JULY 29th (Monday), 2019
DEADLINE: OCTOBER 27th (Sunday), 2019 *18:00pm Japan Time
* Applications made by individuals and organizations fulfilling below would be acknowledged legitimate:
- All age ranges, all nationalities
- Artists or organizations who work within the context of contemporary art
- How to apply
Please download APPLICATION GUIDELINE and APPLICANT INFORMATION FORM, fill in necessary fields, and upload data from WEB Application Form system.
*Note numbers of application towards our foundation is limited to one applicant (both individual and organization) per fiscal year.
*Please beware applications with modified formats and submissions by postal mail, e-mail, and facsimile would basically not be considered as legitimate applications.
*Please note late submissions due to network errors and/or computer crashes would not be taken into consideration to maintain equality. Please send submissions well in advance to avoid such conditions.
- What to apply
Please prepare all documents listed below and upload through the WEB application before deadline. Applications should be thoroughly reviewed and considered before submission to avoid changes after submission.
I. APPLICATION FORM (in designated format only)
1. GRANT APPLICATION FORM
2. APPLICANT INFORMATION FORM (individuals/organizations)
Ⅱ. APPENDIX DOCUMENTS (no required format)
3. LIST OF EXPENSE BREAKDOWN
4. PROJECT OUTLINE (If there is more information than filled in the application form)
5. ATTACHMENT DOCUMENTS (documents that will help the selection committee to overview your activities, e.g., movies, sound materials, flyers, catalogues, organization leaflets, and etc.)
* Please submit movies and sound materials only shorter than 5 minutes
* Please scan related area for published materials (e.g., catalogues) and submit in pdf format
* Please refer to formats below upon submitting data:
movies (.mp4), sounds (.mp3), documents (.pdf) *APPLICATION FORMS should maintain doc format
6. ORGANIZATION CONTRACT/GUIDELINES/MEMBER RULES (organizations only)
7. BUSINESS REPORT & FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF LAST FISCAL YEAR (organizations only)
Yasuyo Kudo (Administrative Director, ART & SOCIETY RESEACH CENTER)
Kenji Kubota (Independent Curator)
Kenichi Kondo (Curator of Mori Art Museum)
Chiaki Soma (Representative Director of Arts Commons Tokyo / Art Producer)
Tadasu Takamine (Artist / Associate Professor of Akita University of Art)
Yoshitaka Mori (Professor of Tokyo University of the Arts, Graduate School of Global Arts)
2-15-2 Soto Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0021 JAPAN
Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation Grant System Section